«The phenomenon of blood feud is unfortunately still a tangible and significant reality in some areas of Albania. Not only the European Union but also the Albanian institutions themselves have recognized the existence of the phenomenon ".
This is what he states in a note Operation Dove, the Peace Corps of the Pope John XXIII Community, on the interview of the Councilor of the Albanian Interior Minister on the Italian TV show Le Iene.
«The phenomenon violates the fundamental human rights, including, first and foremost, the right to life and also the problem of self-confinement. To eradicate this problem - the note continues - it is necessary to guarantee the certainty of punishment as its lack can contribute to the use of blood revenge as a form of private justice».
Operation Dove, Nonviolent Peace Corps of the Pope John XXIII Community Association, is present in Albania by the 2010 to counter the phenomenon of he sold blood.
Operation Dove works through the permanent presence of volunteers who daily visit the people involved in this social scourge, supporting them and implementing mediation and reconciliation paths between the parties involved in the feuds.
With reference to transmission "Hyenas", broadcast on Mediaset networks on February 10 2019, Operation Colomba reports below some words of the Advisor to the Albanian Minister of the Interior Hilë Lushaku: "Currently this phenomenon does not exist [...] blood revenge is the product of some associations to secure funds [...] It is a past phenomenon, which abroad is exaggerated, to create problems for Albania [...] Our experts are considering reviewing the article about blood feuds and removing it from the Albanian penal code ".
In this regard, Operation Colomba states that:
- the phenomenon of blood feuds unfortunately it is a reality still tangible and significant in some areas of Albania (see pdf , paragraph 3);
- in these years, the same Albanian institutions have recognized the existence of the phenomenon , valuing our work: for example, in July 2014 we met the former President of the Republic Bujar Nishani to talk about the implementation of the 9389 / 2005 law; in March, 2018, during the presentation of our three-year Report on the phenomenon, was attended by the People's Lawyer Erinda Ballanca, the representative of the Foreign Affairs Commission of the Parliament Mimi Kodheli and the President of Parliament Gramoz Ruçi. See also: la Resolution of the Albanian Parliament 2015 for the prevention of the blood revenge phenomenon; there 9389 / 2005 law for the creation of a Coordinating Council against blood revenge; the 2015 Report of the People's Lawyer on the phenomenon of blood feud; there Presentation of the 2013 Report of the People's Advocate on the phenomenon of revenge;
– also the international institutions have officially recognized the existence of the phenomenon , its negative consequences and the need to combat it, also as a condition for European membership: see the EU 2018 Report enlargement; the EU 2015 Report enlargement; the EU 2014 Report for enlargement; there Resolution of the European Parliament's 2013 ;
- it is necessary guarantee the certainty of punishment . As recently stated by the European Union ( Link 1 , Link 2 ), the problem of corruption is vast and sometimes even found in the judicial system. Unfortunately, the lack of certainty of punishment can contribute to the use of blood revenge as a form of private justice;
– the mentality from which the phenomenon arises is rooted in some areas of Albania and provides for revenge to be considered more honorable than respect for life. Simple interpersonal conflicts can be transformed into feuds because, if the wrong is immediately avenged, endless cycles of revenge can be triggered. The phenomenon violates the fundamental human rights, including, first of all, the right to life and it also has the problem ofself-imprisonment.
Support and resources are needed to eradicate the phenomenon of blood feud
Operation Colomba continues its commitment with dedication and seriousness alongside the Albanian people for overcoming this social plague.
Among the various initiatives promoted, Operation Dove of the Community Pope John XXIII is currently carrying out an awareness campaign entitled Kundër Gjakmarrjes to which we invite everyone to join.
For more information and contacts:
- Operation Dove - Nonviolent Peace Corps of the Community Pope John XXIII
- Tel. +355 69 4007283
- www.operazionecolomba.it - www.kundergjakmarrjes.org
Follow Albania News on Google News