The World Bank states that the 70% of the poorest families in Albania are excluded from economic aid. The data was made public in a report on the social assistance modernization project.
The goal of the World Bank
In the 2013 April, the World Bank set a new goal for end extreme poverty: that of not having more than 3% of the world population - thanks above all to economic assistance - which lives on less than two dollars a day within the 2030.
There has been significant progress in reducing poverty over the past few decades. According to the most recent estimates of the World Bank, from the 1981 to the 2013 the poverty rate (ie of people living on less than two dollars a day) has been reduced by more than 30%, going from 44% to 10,7%. A goal therefore within reach, as stated on the World Bank website (official page e Open Data for Albania)
The situation in Albania
Albania is also trying, through subsidies and economic assistance, to fight and lower poverty. The World Bank report shows that the 10% of total Albanian families (about 75.000 in numerical value) live in a context of poverty and that only the 30% of these receive economic assistance from the state, while the remaining 70% do not.
This means that around 53.000 families do not benefit from subsidies even if they need them.
The question of economic assistance has always been a great problem in Albania, since in the past these sums of money that should have gone to poor families, went into the pockets of others.
Only in the 2012 Albanian government and World Bank have implemented a new program for the modernization of the assistance scheme. The program, which will end in December, includes a new system for defining assisted families.
In the early months of the 2018, this new system meant that the government abolished economic aid for more than 20.000 families causing strong political discussions. The opposition, in fact, has accused the government of removing these subsidies on one side and increasing the 'luxury' of senior state officials at the same time.
Follow Albania News on Google News