The byrek is one of the most classic Albanian dishes and it is very easy to find it in various forms and with fillings of all kinds throughout the country.
Spinach Byrek (spinach savory pie)Print the recipe
- 1 kg flour (type 00)
- 1 kg spinach
- 30-40 gr butter
- 500 gr ricotta (optional)
- 2-3 eggs (optional)
- Mix flour and salt with water and divide it into small balls the size of a mandarin.
- Let it rest for an hour or so.
- Chop the spinach, add salt, mash it and place it in a container, leaving the water aside.
- Then add eggs and ricotta if you want.
- In the meantime begin to roll out the dough with the help of a rolling pin. Put a bit of starch on a flat surface and place the dough on it, roll it out until it is almost transparent.
- Grease the pan with a little oil and roll out the pastry. Repeat the operation several times and sprinkle with filling. Close the edges and brush with butter or oil.
- Remove from the oven to 220 ° and let cool for 20 minutes, then cut and serve.
All the ingredients must be prepared first. Spinach cooked with 1 / 2 water glass. The ricotta must be a little dry, the one of sheep would be fine for example (obviously the Albanian ricotta is different, very good and already salted). You can make the filling also with onion, meat and tomatoes; eggs, cheese and yoghurt, etc. etc.