Byrek in general and the Byrek me qumesht in particular is a traditional food of the Balkan countries including Albania.
Byrek's recipes, originating in the Ottoman Empire, have changed from country to country over the centuries, adapting to the culinary traditions of each nation.
Byrek is consumed on the street like at home or in restaurants. On the premises it is possible to choose the filling: of only vegetables, of cheese only or of meat only. We had already published a variant of byrek with spinach some time ago that you can consult here.
Today, however, we propose a new variant
Byrek with eggs and milkPrint the recipe
- 3 tea cups of flour
- 3 eggs
- 90 g butter
- 800 ml of milk
- 1 teacup starch
- Salt to taste
- Mix flour and salt with water and divide it into small balls the size of a mandarin.
- Let it rest for an hour.
- In the meantime begin to roll out the dough with the help of a rolling pin. Put a bit of starch on a flat surface and place the dough on it, roll it out until it is almost transparent.
- When the sheets are ready, start baking them one by one but be careful not to burn them.
- Meanwhile, mix the milk, eggs, melted butter and salt in a container.
- Grease the bottom of the pan with a little butter and then put an unbaked dough on the bottom.
- Then we put the sheets in the oven one on top of the other, sprinkling them one by one with the mixture of milk, eggs and butter.
- We cover everything with another unbaked dough and sprinkle it with a little butter.
- Let's put the baking pan for 30 / 40 minutes at 180 degrees.
- After cooking, we remove it from the oven, cut it into pieces and serve it while still hot.
Do you want more recipes? See the page albanianews.it/ricette-albanesi