Festivali i Këngës, which will reach its 56 edition this year, is known to have remained among the last competitions in Europe to make use of performances accompanied by the orchestra. In this sense, the FiK has an important twin: the Sanremo Festival. The permanent headquarters, from the 1989, is the Palazzo dei Congressi in Tirana
As reported Eurofestival News, the history of the competition goes, in some way, hand in hand with that of Albania: in the 1972, the organizers were imprisoned by the men of the dictator Enver Hoxha on the charge of having corrupted the minds of young people. For 12 years, the songs ended up under the eye of censorship and many of the themes were related to the development of the nation and to government figures.
From the 1985, with the death of Hoxha and with the imminent end of the communist regime, the censorship was loosened and the songs returned to deal with topics much more general than the government ones. The competition, which is always held at Christmas time, serves as the 2003 by national selection for theEurovision.
Festivali i Këngës 56
This year the artists in the race are 22, divided into two semi-finals that will be held on December 21 and 22, aimed at decreeing the passage of 14 of them to the final of the 23 December. Here they are (with attached titles and related translations in Italian):
- AkullThyesit - Divorci (Divorce)
- Artemisa Mithi - E dua botën (I love the world)
- Bojken Lako - Sytë and shpirtit (The eyes of the soul)
- Denisa Gjezo - Zemër ku je (my love, where you are)
- Elton Deda - Fjalët (The words)
- Endri & Stefi - Mesazh (Message)
- Ergi Bregu - Bum bum (Bum bum)
- Eugent Bushpepa - Mall (Bramosia)
- Evans Rama - Gjurmët (The tracks)
- Genc & David Tukiçi - Të pandarë (Inseparable)
- Inis Neziri - Piedestal (Pedestal)
- Lorela Sejdini - Pritëm edhe pak (Wait a little longer)
- LYNX - Vonë (Late)
- Manjola Nallbani - I njëjti qiell (The same sky)
- Mariza Ikonomi - Unë (I)
- NA & Festina Mezini - Tjetër jetë (Another life)
- Orgesa Zaimi - Ngrije zërin (Raise your voice)
- Redon Makashi - Ekziston (You exist)
- Rezarta Smaja & Luiz Ejlli - Ra një yll (A star has fallen)
- Tiri Gjoci - Orë e ndalur (stationary clock)
- Voltan Prodani - E pamundur (Impossible)
- Xhesika Polo - Përjetë (Forever)
Albania has never won theEurovision, but took fifth place in the 2012 with "Suus" by Rona Nishliu.
In the last edition, in Kiev, it ended very far from the final with World by Lindita. Of the artists present this year, only Luiz Ejlli has already been in the race in Europe, coming out in the semifinals in the 2006.
In this edition of the Festivali i Këngës, which serves as Albania's national selection at the Eurovision Song Contest, a great guest of Italian music was invited as guest of honor Riccardo Cocciante.
You might also like
- BBC: Albanian folklore in the international music scene
- "The Korça urban song" by Spanja Pipa, a refined melodic tradition
- Peppa Marriti Band, 25 Gërsheta: a tribute to the folk music of Albania
Follow Albania News on Google News