Twenty years after their discovery in the Correr Museum Library in Venice, the "Statutes of Scutari" have been published in a facsimile edition with a preface by the Venetian scholar Lucia Nadin.
The Statutes (legislative text of the first half of the 1300) are an extraordinary document: they open and illuminate a scenario of municipal civilization, bringing the reader into a medieval city, and making the urban layout known, the craft structures with the related lexicons, the daily rhythms of political and social life, the customs system linked to its traffic between hinterland and coast.
They are a "monument of medieval Albania".
Recovered after nearly seven centuries from the original drafting in the Library of the Correr Museum in Venice by Lucia Nadin, who gave news in 1997 at the Scientific Conference of the Luigj Gurakuqi University of Scutari dedicated to the illustrious figure of the albanologist Carlo Tagliavini, the Statutes of Scutari see now the light in a careful critical edition, introduced by a series of studies that highlight its essential characteristics and its important position in the context of the Albanian and Adriatic events of the 14th and 15th centuries.
Layed before the 1346, when Scutari was under the dominion of the king of Rascia Stefan Dušan, the statutes were maintained in force even after the city had passed under the control of Venice in the 1396 and until the Turkish conquest of the 1479.
Here a video of the original manuscript.
We are happy to announce that, twenty years after their discovery at the # Library of the #MuseoCorrer in Venice, the "Statutes of Scutari" have been published in a facsimile edition with a preface by the Venetian scholar Lucia Nadin. The Statutes (legislative text of the first half of the 1300) are an extraordinary document: they open and illuminate a scenario of municipal civilization, bringing the reader into a medieval city, and making the urban layout known, the craft structures with the related lexicons, the daily rhythms of political and social life, the customs system linked to its traffic between hinterland and coast. They are a "monument of medieval Albania". #visitMUVE #artpills Here a video of the original manuscript.
Posted by Correr Museum on Tuesday, November 14, 2017
The Statutes of Scutari
Legislative text drafted in the first half of the 1300 which accompanied the events of the city of Scutari until its fall at the hands of the Turks in the 1479.
It is a true "monument of medieval Albania" whose value extends however also to the history of the eastern Adriatic coast and its relations with Venice and with the major powers of the area, within the framework of great international balance.
It also has the merit of being the oldest legislative text produced in the Albanian territory that has come down to us; it is a clear and organic testimony of that coastal Albania, of urban centers, so different from the stereotypes that still today risk to flatten the whole Albanian reality in the logic of the "land of eagles" and mountain cultures; handed down to us the memory of an extraordinary mix of cultures and people, of relationships and prevarications; it is the testimony of a stratification of past events and civilizations through a centuries-old experience.
It also inserts the history of maritime Albania into the European events of the birth and development of the municipal realities, homologating it, even in its specificity, to those same events.
Numerous chapters of the text are still surprising today, especially where they speak, for example, of respect for the foreigner, of morality necessary in the management of public affairs, of protection of the value of Freedom.
The manuscript, preserved in the Library of the Correr Museum in Venice, was found by the scholar Lucia Nadin in the 1995. The first publication took place in Italy in the 2002 with contributions from historians and linguists and translation of the text into Albanian; in 2003 a second edition was published in Albania with an Albanian translation of the introductory essays.
Biography of Lucia Nadin
Venetian, Lucia Nadin, of humanistic education, PhD in Italian Studies, with teaching in various orders of schools, with positions in the Universities of Venice and Padua and in Venetian structures for educational updating, was mandated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Reader of language and literature Italian in the Faculty of Foreign Languages of the State University of Tirana.
In the same years of activity in Albania he carried out activities of cultural collaboration at the Italian Cultural Institute and the Cultural Office of the Embassy of Italy in Tirana. In the last twenty years of study and research activity, he has added to the specific areas of Italian literature and Venetian culture, themes of Adriatic history and, in particular, of the history of relations between the Serenissima and Albania, between the Middle Ages and the Modern Age, with results of surprising discoveries in the Venetian archives of numerous, unpublished pages of historical memory for Albania: starting from the ancient text of the fourteenth-century Statutes of Scutari, to arrive at the documentation of the great migratory flows of the '400 and of the 500 as well as of the works by publishers, writers, artists of Albanian origin in the lands of the Republic of Venice, until the recovery of a tragedy on Scanderbeg of the '700 that had been given for lost.
In recognition of these results, the City of Scutari was given the honorary citizenship of the city in the 2010 and by the Presidency of the Albanian Republic the honor "Gjergj Kastrioti Skënderbeu" in the 2015.
The Correr Museum takes its name from Teodoro Correr (1750-1830), nobleman of an ancient Venetian family, attentive and passionate collector. At his death, in 1830, he donated his art collection to the city, along with the Palazzo at San Zan Degolà in which it was kept and additional resources destined to preserve and increase the collection that he takes the name from and which constitutes the founding nucleus of the heritage of the Civic Museums of Venice.
The collection is based at the 1922 in Piazza San Marco, in the spaces of the Napoleonic Wing and part of the Procuratie Nuove.